Saturday, February 5, 2011
Saturday, February 5, 2011, 10:00 a.m., usual spot. I have to keep this brief as we have to be at the Orpheum Theater by 1:00 p.m.
Lionel and Dexter went out last night, so Andre, Kim, Ricardo, Jay, Rose and I stayed here at the house, waiting for the announcement. The LYB played the New Daisy, a big room and perfect for their sound. All the acts were good, but Rose and I kept the judges table within line of sight, and all of them were table dancing and taking pictures by the LYB’s second number. The semifinals allow for a 30-minute set, and the guys took those extra five minutes and schooled the entire room. During that set, the judges gave them three standing ovations! Our guys OWNED that room.
Ok, so those of us at the house had our computers on the Blues Foundation’s website, waiting for them to post the finalists. At approximately midnight, Andre, Kim, Ricardo, and Jay received a text from Dexter: “We’re in the finals!” It was another half hour before the website listed the results, so it’s a good thing Lionel and Dexter were downtown to hear it first. There was much celebrating here in Heidi’s wonderful home, and then we stayed up until 1:30 absorbing the news. Here’s the list:
27th IBC Finalists Announced
Here are the finalists announced last night at the conclusion of the semi-finals. They are listed in the order in which they will perform at the finals at the Orpheum theater tonight. The band finals will begin at 2:00pm (doors open at 1:00pm) and the Solo/Duo finals will begin at 7:30pm (doors at 6:30pm).
1. Randy Oxford Band - South Sound Blues Association
2. Stevie J & the Blues Eruption - Central Mississippi Blues Society
3. Grand Marquis - Topeka Blues Society
4. Rob Blaine's Big Otis Blues - Windy City Blues Society
5. Alex Wilson - Grafton Blues Association
6. The Lionel Young Band - Colorado Blues Society
7. The Sugar Prophets - Illinois Central Blues Club
8. The Mary Bridget Davies Group - Kansas City Blues Society
1. Back Porch Stomp - Washington Blues Society
2. Izzy & Chris - West Virginia Blues Society
3. George Schroeter & Marc Breitfelder - Baltic Blues
4. The Juke Joint Devils - Massachusetts Blues Society
5. "Sweet Taste" Kennedy - Canal Bank Shuffle
6. The Mighty Orq - Houston Blues Society
7. Big Jim Adam & John Stilwagen - Colorado Blues Society
So as you can imagine, the energy in this house is vibrating (well, Kim is still sleeping...). The finals are at the Orpheum Theater at 2:00 p.m., ending at 6:00. We should know the outcome by 7:00 p.m. Central, 6:00 p.m. Mountain, and I’ll be texting Dan and a few others immediately.
Now, I have to get the boys’ lunch ready. Eight down, one incredible day to go.
at 3:54 PM